Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Monday, February 06, 2006

Missing Country

Read a blog - Pure Florida - that took me for a walk through this beautiful Florida country. Maples blooming, sparkleberries swelling, just the country. It made me a little homesick when they talked about the blue berries that were getting ready to bloom. I too had blue berries and gave them that shot of acid fertilizer - I was fated to only see one blooming season from them before life took me away to the city. I have an album of pictures of just my garden and animals that I grew over the years - was looking at it a while back and saw a picture of my son about six holding a frog - had forgotten all about that picture.
Today I grow plants in pots because I rent and who knows where I may go next. I have a cape jasmine that came from a cutting off of my grandmother's bush - she is gone now - I also have amaylis from her place. From my mother, who is still with us I have a beautiful double hybiscus and if I can get it into a larger pot it should recover from being pot bound for a while. I want to get a cattly guava from my mother that originally came from me and see how it does in a large pot.
My room mate and I grew tomatoes in a huge pot he brought home from work. I told him it needed more dirt and that three plants were too many even if the pot is big - we still had plenty of tomatoes off of those plants. This year with his injuries and me not being able to lift we couldn't add the needed dirt - duh - we could ask the neighbor to help us. Not the horse - the nice young lady who lives next to us - not to worry she drives heavy equipment for a living and still manages to look very nice. All this talk of plants makes me want to get outside. I need to buy a couple of lawn chairs so I can at least sit on the porch, get a little sunshine and spy on the neighbors.

1 Comments:

At Wed Feb 08, 12:59:00 PM 2006, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

The real Florida country is indeed beautiful. We lived there for a while, and would go for drives out from the developed city areas with all the concrete and landscaping, to see the real countryside. Once we came upon large fields of sugarcane, the 'real' Florida!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home