Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings


Hunting with her dog Moe. I have been an avid fan of Rawlings works for years. In my collection of her books I have several first editions - I have the common ones to read. They are safely tucked away right now because I don't have room to display them. If you are from Florida you will know the name for those of you who aren't she wrote the book the movie 'The Yearling' was based on.
She was a hard working, cussing, drinking and smoking Northerner who came to Florida to start a new life. I am not sure how many years ago it was that they made a movie of 'Cross Creek' which was a biography of her life at Cross Creek. There is no town at Cross Creek there is Micanopy which is near by and noted for it's antiques shops.
A few years ago they put together a collection of her short stories that were written for magazines, etc. I am waiting for the next book to come out - there are still a lot of her short stories out there.

3 Comments:

At Fri Mar 24, 08:47:00 AM 2006, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

Thanks, always looking for a good read, will check it out.

 
At Fri Mar 24, 10:30:00 AM 2006, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That's very interesting and I saw the movie, but I really don't read books much...that's my husbands thing. He reads a book a week.

 
At Sat Apr 01, 11:14:00 AM 2006, Blogger kenju said...

Hi, doubleknot, thanks for the visit to my blog. I loved the book and movie Cross Creek, in fact I once had a movie poster of it. The street I live on now is named Cross Creek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home