Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Georgia Amaryllis

This is my daughter's amaryllis in Georgia - just getting ready to bloom now. The original bulb came from her great grandmother, to her grandmother, to her mother and to her. Since she doesn't have children I suggested a favorite aunt who likes to garden to pass it on to once it sets more bulbs.

Most of my bigger plants come from my grandmother's garden. I found out the other day that her little house is no longer there. With no one living in it to keep it up they decided to tear it down. I don't want to go out there any more things have changed so much. I would rather remember swinging on the porch swings and talking about all sorts of things - hearing tales from the past.

I must find the picture of Grandmother Nobles driving her riding lawn mower. She bought a brand new one and within two weeks had bumped into and tore off everything that was lose enough. She promised faithfully that she would not put it in fieth gear and go so fast - and there she goes right into fieth gear and tearing up everything. She was a very feisty lady who worked sitting with 'old people' till she was almost eighty. Before that she cleaned in the retirement community.

She is missed by everyone.

4 Comments:

At Sun Apr 30, 08:21:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your grandmother sounds like she was a very neat lady. It also seems like she was rather healthy as well. I smiled at the lawn mower bit. I could picture that happening.

Your daughter's garden is beautiful. I love the lantern.

Glad to see Steve is doing well after his procedure. Enjoy the reunion!!


I also wanted to let you know I saw the tag you left me. I haven't had a chance to respond yet, but I will. :D

 
At Sun Apr 30, 10:59:00 AM 2006, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Sorry you couldn't visit blogs, but when things like that happen, I always think that maybe it's a sign that you should be doing something else today...whatever you're doing now I suppose.

That's great how you have passed the flower bulbs down thru the generations...that's wonderful and I hope it continues.

It's always sad when a memory is torn down as your grandmothers home. I think all my grandparents homes are torn down to and one big beautiful home was torn down to make a parking lot...how sad is that.

 
At Sun Apr 30, 09:13:00 PM 2006, Blogger SuzieG said...

I remember Grandma's house too, and I want to continue to have only those pictures in my mind. What used to be our home in the Philippines burnt down, and I just want to remember it as it was when we were there. Anyway, looking forward to Tuesday. When will you be leaving for the re-union?
Your sis

 
At Mon May 01, 10:29:00 AM 2006, Blogger Ava said...

My Grandmother used to share her irises. Somewhere along the way, they were left behind and I don't have any anymore. I still have irises, but I bought them at Home Depot. They still make me think of her though.

Sorry about the house being torn down. You just remember your memories the way you want to.

Grandmother Nobles sounds like a neat woman. The lawn mower is a funny story! What a person it takes to give of yourself and work with older people like that. It takes someone with lots of love inside and patience as well. God bless her.

Ava

 

Post a Comment

<< Home