Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Philippine Transport

If you wanted to go farther then a tricycle could take you then there were the jeepnys. They were originally real jeeps left by the American military after WW II. Here again the owners personalize their own jeepnys. Ridding in one is crowed and sometimes smelly. They cram the last possible person in and sometimes some one is hanging on to the back. Chickens, food, think of it and at some time or other you will be riding with it on a jeepny.
For longer trips like going into Manila you caught a bus. These used to be crowded and people used to climb in the windows to get a seat. I understand now that the military oversees the buses making sure people line up and don't all try to push on at one time. Maybe that is were I learned to just push ahead of a line - my manners have gotten better over the years.

2 Comments:

At Wed Apr 26, 10:15:00 AM 2006, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The jeepnys are so colorful!!! The lower picture with all the traffic reminds me of California and why I left. Everything seemed so far away because it took hours in traffic jams like these to go 15 miles. I lived very close to the Ocean and never realized it until I moved away.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 11:23:00 AM 2006, Blogger Ava said...

Oh my gosh! Look at all of the jeepnys!! They're very colorful!

Ava

 

Post a Comment

<< Home