Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Saturday, July 08, 2006

No Phone

For a heart stopping moment Thursday I thought my computer modem had died on me - the computer kept telling me there was no dial tone. Well I checked the phone and sure enough no dial tone. Using the neighbor cell phone I called our local Verizon office and after talking to a computer for a while reached a live 'agent'. She was very snotty with me after I told her I had checked everything inside and the problem had to be outside. What really threw me for a loop was that she said it would be fixed Friday between eight am and two thirty. Asking her if it was possible for someone to come out sooner you could tell she was sneering from the tone in her voice and took pleasure in telling me no.

Well it was outside and it took the man over two hours to track down the problem and we at last had phone service by four thirty Friday afternoon. What made it worse was I had left for an early doctor's appointment and Steve went to his job site for a while thinking I would be home when he got there. I ended up having to go to the hospital for some tests and it just took forever. They were kind enough to give me a phone so I could try and call home. I finally called my mother and told her where I was and that if Steve called her to let him know I was OK and would be home soon. It was a good thing I did that Steve said when the phone was working the first person he would call would be my mother and if she didn't know where I was he was going to start calling hospitals thinking maybe I had a wreck.

What ever happened to the days when the phone company made sure you had service as soon as possible and you didn't have to wait around all day for the repair man. Guess we will never see those days again. I am totally spoiled though - I was lost with out a phone. I even thought about going to the convinece store and buying one of those minute phones but I didn't know how much they were so we toughed it out for a whole night without a phone. Never really thought how much the phone line connects us to the rest of the world.

5 Comments:

At Sat Jul 08, 12:13:00 PM 2006, Blogger Carole Burant said...

I agree with you, the service we get now from the phone companies really suck!! You always need a working phone, you never know when an emergency can occur and you need to call out or someone has to call you due to one...they really are our lifeline!

 
At Sat Jul 08, 07:53:00 PM 2006, Blogger Granny said...

I hang on to my landline even though we never use it. It's cheap and a backup.

 
At Sat Jul 08, 11:55:00 PM 2006, Blogger TUFFENUF said...

I hate the damn phone company in our area. No wonder everyone is leaving to go cellular!

 
At Sun Jul 09, 04:29:00 AM 2006, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Doubleknot ~~ Lovely fun photos of your children How awful to be without a phone. I have had it happen, but only briefly. Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the prayer and jokes. And yes
you had better be specific with your plea for SIX numbers. Good luck.
Take care, Merle.

 
At Sun Jul 09, 04:18:00 PM 2006, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The phone line has become my lifeline since I'm on the computer so much...I don't know what I would do if I couldn't communicate with my blog friends because I only know them by their URL & email addresses.

And then there might be a medical emergency when you least expect it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home