Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Monday, November 13, 2006

No Manatees

Steve and I took his sister and her grand daughter to the Manatee Viewing center. We didn't see any manatees - the water isn't cold enough for them to seek the warm water from the power plant.
Yes, it is me. Brandi was kind enough to take a picture of me to prove that yes I do go places sometimes. I took a picture of her and printed out when we got home so she could prove that she went somewhere too.
You can see the power plant in this picture. One of the few I got of Steve and guess what he is pointing at - fish! Great big fish. I think we saw jacks and some of the biggest sheep's head I had ever seen. Too bad they don't allow fishing. Steve was more excited about the fish and didn't mind missing the manatees. Us three girls left him out side while we went into the Manatee Museum which is new since the last time I was there. It was interesting with a life size manatee suspended over your head - it was big.
Thank goodness we all stayed on deck and didn't need the life preserver - though it was a close call with Steve wanting those fish so bad.

4 Comments:

At Tue Nov 14, 08:31:00 AM 2006, Blogger somershade said...

Sorry you didn't get to see them. But we got to see a great photo of you. xxxooo

 
At Tue Nov 14, 11:14:00 AM 2006, Blogger Susan Tidwell said...

We lived in Tampa a long time ago, and I remember going to see manatees, I believe at Crystal River? They are such interesting animals, they don't look like anything else in the ocean.

 
At Wed Nov 15, 07:36:00 AM 2006, Blogger Tanya said...

I did a course at university called Conserving Marine Wildlife and we discussed the manatees moving to the power plant for warmth over there. Here in the southern hemisphere, we have dugongs. They are very similar to manatees, though one obvious difference is the tail: manatees have a rudder-like tail, while dugongs have a tail that looks like a dolphins. The population is endangered though, and I've only ever seen two - they are really rare.

 
At Wed Nov 15, 10:34:00 PM 2006, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I've never seen manatees in the wild, only in an aquarium. I think that would be awesome.

That's a very nice picture of yourself and I'm glad you all had fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home