Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Tomatoes

Here is my presser cooker. It will only hold pints. That is OK because it makes just right for Steve and me to split. I was trying to remember how many years it had been since I canned anything - has to be twelve years or more. Bought a box of jars and a handy little set the store had with the jar lifter and funnel and lid picker upper and a thing to take air bubbles out. With this investment I guess I will just have to keep canning.
Got a little too much juice in them - hey, I haven't done this in years - I got eight pints of stewed tomatoes.
Old trick if your whatever floats to the top turn the jar upside down. Seems to have worked with most of mine.

Did I forget to tell you these were the last ripe tomatoes and I was not going to let them go to waste. Too hot now for tomatoes. What I really want to put up is some strawberry jam. I'll find something - I have three jars left - I know that doesn't add up to twelve but a friend sent us some stewed tomatoes and we have only used one of his so I am sending back one of his jars and one of my new ones.

I know the tomatoes should sit at least a week before we eat any but I am almost ready now - we have been having fresh tomatoes for every meal. Steve loves tomatoes but I think he got his fill this time.

2 Comments:

At Thu Jul 05, 08:53:00 AM 2007, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

We haven't even had our first home grown tomato yet and you are already canning the last of your tomatoes. We're going to have to bum a tomato from someone who has a garden this year but no one has red tomatoes that we know of just yet.

We have been watching your garden in container pots and are amazed at what you have grown and the yield you have gotten. Some of us might just give this a try next year. That way we can put the pots close to the house in a sunny spot and water the plants and hope that we get the same results that you got.

 
At Fri Jul 06, 03:22:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home