Doubleknot

crochet, life, and a little of everything

Friday, September 26, 2008

Simmon's Park Part 2

Back at Simmon's Park. Here are two posts that have been there for as long as I can remember. They block a wide space so people won't be tempted to load or unload their boats there. On the other side of the park is a large boat ramp with lots of parking for cars and boat trailers.
New palm trees starting to grow their leaves out. They were newly planted a while back when I went to the park.
All around the park they have these little walk ways you can go out on and fish or just enjoy the view. They used to have benches on them I guess they rotted away or someone stole the ones from this walk way.
A nice view from the walk way. You can see part of the railing they have all the way around so people won't fall in.

AIP suggested I tell the tale of the way ward raccoons. A few years back people started feeding the raccoons and they became so many that when you drove up in your vehicle they would gather around you and it was hard getting out and shooing them away. You didn't dare leave a window or back of your truck or car open or they would climb right in after anything they could find to eat. They would try to steal your bait and fish and if you were drinking a soft drink and set it down they would be after it in a flash. The park posted do not feed the animals signs and stopped people from feeding them. I don't know how they got rid of so many raccoons but you don't see any now. They are a nocturnal animal and being out in the day was unusual for them. I heard that one of the park rangers was bitten and had to have rabies shots - it was after that that they really cracked down on people feeding the raccoons. I have to admit it is much more pleasant now that they are gone.

3 Comments:

At Sat Sep 27, 03:52:00 PM 2008, Blogger Suzie said...

I miss going fishing. Maybe we could throw out a line sometime?

It was really nice visiting. Can't wait till next weekend!

Your sis

 
At Sat Sep 27, 10:24:00 PM 2008, Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Simmons Park is so beautiful. It makes me homesick for the ocean, but please keep posting pictures of it as I love looking at the ocean even if I can't be there in person.

I love hearing about those pesky raccoons, but being from a place where we scarcely see them, I find them amusing.

 
At Thu Oct 02, 02:20:00 PM 2008, Blogger Felicia said...

What a beautiful park! Glad they got the raccoon situation under control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home